Free legal advice, replacement birth certificates for weather impacted Queenslanders

Queensland Government media release

Queenslanders impacted by natural disasters this summer are encouraged to take advantage of free legal advice and other services, such as birth and marriage certificate replacements, offered by the Queensland Government.

A dedicated disaster legal helpline (1300 527 700) operated by Legal Aid Queensland (LAQ) will provide advice to people whose properties have been damaged by severe weather.

Factsheets and resources will also be available to ensure impacted Queenslanders are armed with relevant advice about insurance claims, damaged or disrupted services and utilities, employment issues and debt and financial problems.

Key documents, including birth and marriage certificates, will be replaced for free for those in disaster declared areas who have had them lost or destroyed.

Lost or destroyed blue cards or exemption cards will also be replaced by Blue Card Services for free if people submit a statutory declaration with the relevant form for lost/stolen cards.

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is also helping licensees, charities and incorporated associations registered with them who have been affected by floods.

This includes replacing destroyed OFT licences, ID cards, certificates, and copies of rules for non-profit groups free of charge as well as offering extensions on new applications or renewals and waiving late fees for those affected.

The OFT is also encouraging Queenslanders to be wary of scammers looking to take advantage of people and businesses impacted by natural disasters.

Flood-affected licensed venues can contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR) during the recovery period for advice about licences and permits, liquor compliance and gaming compliance.

People needing a Justice of the Peace (JP) or Commissioner of Declarations to witness and certify routine legal documents are encouraged to visit the Queensland Government website.

Further information

Legal Aid Queensland:

Legal Aid Queensland provides free legal help to people affected by disasters.

Call the disaster legal help line on 1300 527 700 to get help with issues you may face when your property has been damaged by a natural disaster or severe weather.

Facts sheets and other resources are available at www.legalaid.qld.gov.au.

Documentation replacement:

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will provide free replacement life event certificates (to people in disaster declared areas who have had them lost or destroyed. Information is available on Queensland Government website: www.qld.gov.au/RBDMdisastercertificates.

Blue cards or exemption cards lost or destroyed in the floods will be replaced by Blue Card Services for free if people submit a statutory declaration with the relevant form for lost/stolen cards. Both documents should be submitted via email to [email protected]. For the relevant form and statutory declaration visit www.qld.gov.au/bluecard.

JPs in the Community

JPs and Cdecs are trained Queenslanders who can witness and certify your routine legal documents. www.qld.gov.au/findjp

Assistance for liquor and gaming licensees 

For licence and permit enquiries, contact [email protected]

For liquor compliance enquiries, contact [email protected]

For gaming compliance enquiries, contact [email protected]

Assistance for OFT regulated industries

The Office of Fair Trading can help licensees, registered charities and incorporated associations impacted by floods including:

    • Replacement of destroyed licences, ID cards or certificates, free-of-charge
    • Replacement of destroyed copies of rules for non-profit groups, free-of-charge
    • extensions on any new applications or renewals
    • waiving late fees

Charity scams

Search the Office of Fair Trading’s free public register to check if a charity is authorised to fundraise in Queensland.

You can also check a charity is genuine by searching the online Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commissions website.

If you believe you donated to a scam you should:

  • Contact your bank to report the transaction immediately.
  • Report the scam to the website it is hosted on.
  • Make a report on the Scamwatch website.