The Organisational Development Toolkit has been developed to support organisations across the Queensland community services industry to prepare for future business success by undertaking a critical review of their business models.
Organisational development reviews an organisation’s existing business model to identify opportunities and formulate strategies to ensure current capability and build future capability. Read more about organisational development in this fact sheet.
To assist community service organisations to assess their business model, nine key areas of capability have been identified. The key capabilities an organisation will need to strategically manage to be relevant and ready for the future are:
- Strategic Capability
- Governance & Leadership
- Client and Market Focus
- Financial Sustainability
- Workforce Planning & Development
- Innovation, Quality and Improvement
- Information, Knowledge and Process Management
- Collaboration & Partnering
The Organisational Development Toolkit is made up of three self-assessment tools that incorporate these key capabilities and assist organisations to review their current capability and prepare for the future.
- Tool A - Strategic Review – review your organisation’s strategic vision and service delivery, focus and identify key weaknesses, strengths and future opportunities.
- Tool B - Strategic Capability Assessment – assess the suitability of your organisation’s business model to meet the challenges of today and of the future.
- Tool C - Capability Development Plan – develop an action plan based on the information gathered in Tool B to strengthen your organisation’s operations and services.
How to get the most out of Tool A
If you're having trouble getting started with the Organisational Development Toolkit, the below resources might provide some inspiration.
These three examples of a completed Tool A have been developed with three different sized organisations in mind. They are fictional and have been designed to help you think about the kind of information each question is prompting you to include.