Volunteers play a crucial part in the support and running of community organisations. About 700,000 non-profit organisations operate in Australia, of which about 35,000 employ staff. The remainder are mostly small organisations entirely dependent on the voluntary commitment of members. The management and development of volunteers and volunteering is key to the sustainability of a skilled and involved volunteer workforce.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics produced an overview of Voluntary Work in Australia in 2010, which gives a snapshot of the importance of voluntary work to national life. In 2010:
- 36.2 per cent of people aged 18 years and over participated in formal volunteering (6.1 million people).
- 20 per cent of people aged 18 years and over provided care to someone with a disability, long-term illness or problems associated with old age.
- 49 per cent of people provided informal assistance to people not living in the same household.
- The total value of volunteering to the Australian economy was estimated at AU$200 billion
While volunteering has a substantial positive impact on society as a whole, it also provides significant benefits to the volunteers themselves. Some of these personal benefits include learning new skills, meeting new people and developing confidence.
Volunteering Queensland is the peak body for volunteering in Queensland. Along with a wealth of publications and research, they maintain a database for linking volunteers and volunteer opportunities.
Other useful links for volunteer managers include:
- Volunteering Australia
- Department of Communities volunteering information
- Queensland Government Get Involved website
- Community Builders NSW
COVID-19 - Managing volunteers
There has been significant changes to the way volunteers are managed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are looking for information on managing volunteers during the pandemic go to the Volunteering Queensland website.
Your search yielded no results
There may not be any content with your search criteria.
- Check if your spelling is correct.
- Remove quotes around phrases to search for each word individually. bike shed will often show more results than "bike shed".
- Consider loosening your query with OR. bike OR shed will often show more results than bike shed.