Human Rights Act in action: Impact of changes to the Child Protection Act
QCOSS is partnering with Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child Protection Peak (QATSICPP) and PeakCare on 31 July 2020 to explore how the Human Rights Act (‘HRA’) applies to the Child Protection and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2020 (‘the Bill’).
It is hosting a workshop with the goal of improving the human rights literacy of the child protection sector, as well as encouraging organisations to participate in the Committee process, including by making a submission.
Speakers will provide an overview of the Bill, and discuss the impact of the HRA on lawmaking and application of the HRA to the Bill. There will also be a panel discussion on alternative human rights compliant options that may still achieve the aim of the Bill.
- Lindsay Wegener, PeakCare
- Prof Tamara Walsh, TC Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland
- Scott McDougall, Queensland Human Rights Commission
- Karyn Walsh AM, Micah Projects
- Matt Gardiner, Save The Children
- Garth Morgan, QATSICPP
- Brent McCracken, UnitingCare
- Aimee McVeigh, QCOSS
We are pleased to announce the addition of two speakers!
- Dr Katrina Lines, Executive Director, Act for Kids
- Ms Megan Giles, Executive Director, Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women
When: 31 July 2020, 1:00pm – 3:30pm