Help available for Queenslanders doing it tough this Christmas

Queensland Government media release

Queenslanders who need a helping hand this Christmas can access a range of services and supports to ease the burden this festive season.

Minister for Communities and Housing Leeanne Enoch urged people to visit their local neighbourhood or community centre for information, services and referrals to support services.

“Some of those centres can also provide emergency relief in the lead-up to Christmas, including food, vouchers and financial assistance,” she said.

For Queenslanders experiencing housing stress over the festive period, Housing Service Centres will be open until December 23, and will then reopen on January 3. Queenslanders in need of support during this period can call the Homeless Hotline on 1800 474 753 or 13QGOV (13 74 68) who will both be open during this time.

Bond loans and rental grants are also available to eligible people who move into private rental accommodation.

Neighbourhood and community centres will be closed for up to two weeks over the break, but there will be support available from St Vincent de Paul Society, The Salvation Army, and Lifeline during the Christmas and New Year break.

“While Christmas can be a time of celebration and joy for many of us, we know the holiday season can leave some people feeling lonely or socially isolated, and I’d encourage them to reach out for help,” Ms Enoch said.

Minister Enoch also warned people not to use predatory payday lenders, and to instead reach out to legitimate services if they need financial help.

For eligible people earning a net income less than $45,000, the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) provides loans of up to $2,000 to Queenslanders for the purchase of essential goods and services, such as whitegoods, medical and dental services, car registration and other household items.

More information about the scheme is available by phoning 13 64 57.

Other key services available over the festive period include:

  • Homeless Hotline:  1800 474 753

Housing Service Centres on 137468 or visit: www.qld.gov.au/housing-service-centres

Queenslanders can also:

  • find your local neighbourhood centre
  • apply for a bond loan or a rental grant
  • use the Tenant Assist app (for public housing tenants to check rental balances and update contact details
  • use the Housing Assist Qld app (apply for or check your bond loan calculator, or find out about housing)
  • contact emergency maintenance for public housing tenants: phone 1800 808 107

You can also access some self-services online.