Connecting carers through the Carer Gateway
Anyone can become a carer at any point in their lives. A carer can provide care to a family member or friend with disability, a medical condition, mental illness, or who is frail due to age.
There are 2.65 million unpaid carers across Australia – that’s one in 9 people. Despite the large number of carers across Australia, the number of people accessing Carer Gateway is relatively low, as many carers do not recognise they are a carer or know there is a dedicated service available to support them.
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government program, providing free services and support for carers including:
- in-person and online peer support groups
- in-person and phone counselling
- in-person and online self-guided coaching
- online skills courses to support carer wellbeing
- tailored support packages to help with accessing planned respite, transport services and more
- help with accessing emergency respite.
Carers can call Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737 to register with a local service provider, or visit the Carer Gateway website for online support and more information.