Australian Bureau of Statistics census lessons and guides
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has developed ABS 2021 Census of Population and Housing lesson guides regarding the Census: what it is, why it’s important, and how they can take part.
Included in the lesson guides is information for teachers as well as activities that students can complete. The activities are suitable for a range of students, including:
- students learning English, including those attending migrant English programs or adult literacy programs
- culturally and linguistically diverse and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in upper primary and secondary schools and at TAFEs
- any context where people want to learn about Australian culture – for example at community centres, mothers’ groups and so on.
The lesson guides are divided into 3 main themes:
- What is the Census?
- How the Census helps people.
- How do I fill in the Census form?
The ABS is also seeking feedback on the lesson guides through a short survey. Access the survey.