Insurance is often an expensive alternative in risk management, and should only be used when the other approaches outlined above have not been able to reduce a risk to a level your organisation is prepared to tolerate. Having said that, insurance remains an important part of most risk management plans. Remember that insurance does not prevent an accident or event – it only provides some compensation for financial loss if the event does happen.

There are two main types of insurance:

  • General insurance
  • Life insurance

Life insurance protects against death or disability for the person insured, while general insurance provides cover for property damage, loss or theft, public liability, workers' compensation and so on.

Your organisation may be legally required to purchase certain types of insurance such as workers' compensation insurance if it employs staff or compulsory third party motor vehicle insurance if it owns motor vehicles. Also, some incorporated associations are required by law to have public liability insurance.

In taking out insurance you have to decide on three things:

  • What to insure
  • Which broker or insurance company to deal with
  • The type of policy or level of insurance required

What to insure

As pointed out above, insurance can induce a false sense of security, and should only be used to cover risks which you feel are not adequately covered in other ways. Even then, not all uncovered risks are worth insuring against. For example, risks that have high frequency but low impact are often not worth insuring against, if only because you would not generally make claims for losses incurred under those risks. However, if the law requires you to take out certain insurance, you must comply.

Which broker or insurance company to deal with

Your organisation can obtain insurance either by dealing directly with an insurance company or through an insurance broker. The advantage of using an insurance broker is that they should be able to get you the best available deal for your insurance needs. Whatever you decide on, make sure that the broker or company you are dealing with is reputable. If you are not dealing with a well known insurance company or broker, you should check to see that they are registered with the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (formerly the Insurance and Superannuation Commission) who can be contacted on 1300 545 88 49.

Choosing a policy

There are a diverse range of policies available and prices for what is essentially the same package can vary to a surprising degree, so the message is `shop around'. Some questions to consider in deciding between policies are:

  • Have you read the policy carefully? Do you know exactly what you are covered for and what is excluded? Do you need a lawyer to help you understand the policy?
  • What insurance do you need? Compare policies based on your requirements, not based on added extras that you don't need.
  • Under what conditions, if any, would you have to pay some proportion of a claim?
  • Are there limits to how much can be paid under each individual claim, or limits to what can be paid out under the policy in any single period?
  • Does the insurance company have the option of replacing goods rather than paying cash?
  • Does the policy provide for a “new for old” replacement, or does it only insure the present market value of the property?
  • Have you insured for enough value? Note that if you insure for less that the full value of the property, then your insurer will most likely only pay a proportion of the value of the property.
  • Have you provided all the necessary information? Policies invariably require you to provide a range of information to the insurer - failure to do so could leave you with no cover.
  • Are any discounts available to you?
  • Are you over-insured? Insuring your $500 typewriter for $2,000 is simply a waste of money - you'll only be entitled to the $500 that the typewriter's worth.
  • Is your insurance coverage adequate, and have you updated it regularly?
  • Have you done everything required in the policy? A policy may require you to do certain things to maintain coverage, such as installing security systems.

If your insurance needs are unusual, particularly large, or if you don't feel confident about any aspect of taking out insurance, you should consider getting further advice. There are a range of useful publications available on insurance, and you should be able to find someone who can advise you.

Types of insurance

There are many types of insurance which should be considered to reduce risks to your organisation, and in the case of unincorporated associations, risks to the committee members personally. Various forms of insurance which could apply to your organisation are described below.

Workers’ compensation

This is compulsory insurance required by all employers to cover injury, sickness, or death of their employees regardless of whether the employer is negligent. Failure to take out workers' compensation insurance will leave the organisation open to any claims for compensation by employees and subject to a fine. In addition, if your employee or contractor claims and received payment from WorkCover when you don't have a policy, WorkCover has the right to recover double your usual premium and one and a half times the amount paid to your employee. 

If your organisation employs a self employed contractor to perform work which does not involve the supply of materials to you (such as a gardener or cleaner), it is compulsory for your organisation to take out WorkCover insurance to cover that contractor. The premiums are inexpensive, but the penalties for failure to comply are severe. Committee members are usually not employees and are therefore not covered by WorkCover.

Motor vehicle comprehensive

This insurance covers damage to your organisation's vehicle and damage to other people's property of any type, including vehicles. It covers theft, fire, legal costs and may cover towing costs. These types of policies usually require the claimant to pay an excess on any claim. In some circumstances the insurer will remove the excess in return for payment of a higher premium.

Motor vehicle third party property, fire and theft - this is a cheaper type of insurance which covers damage to other people's property, but only covers the insured's vehicle for fire and theft. No cover is provided for damage to the insured's vehicle. If the insured's vehicle is stolen and then later found in a damaged state, this type of insurance will not cover the cost of repairs.

Building insurance

This covers damage to structures owned by your organisation. Policies may cover damage caused by fire, storm, tempest, rainwater, lightning, and explosion, impact by vehicles, animals or aircraft, earthquakes, riots, malicious acts and, if agreed, flood. Carefully check the definition of flood, as not all events may be covered.

A policy usually covers only the depreciated value of the building insured at the time of loss. This type of "indemnity" insurance will not cover the cost of replacement of the building and for this reason, reinstatement or replacement insurance is recommended. Consider also extending your building insurance policy to cover "extra costs of reinstatement", such as costs of complying with the requirements of public authorities and "removal of debris" which can be a costly exercise.

If your organisation is underinsured, the "co-insurance" or "averaging" clause found in some policies may operate to leave the insurer liable to compensate you for only a proportion of your loss which may be a lesser figure than the underinsured figure contained in the policy. Premium discounts can often be negotiated where fire fighting equipment is installed in the premiums and more generous discounts will usually apply where an automatic sprinkler system is installed.

Contents insurance

If your organisation is leasing premises the landlord will usually be responsible for building insurance, but this will not cover contents owned by your organisation. Fixtures which have been installed by your organisation in the landlord's building and which remain the property of your organisation to remove when the premises are vacated, are not covered by the landlord's building insurance. Contents should be insured against damage or destruction by the same causes set out above in building insurance. The contents policy will also cover theft and your organisation should take care to identify whether the policy provides for indemnity, in which case only the depreciated value of insured items will be paid, or for reinstatement or replacement, in which case the new replacement cost will be paid.

Consequential loss

This insurance covers profits lost following the occurrence of a specified incident (such as fire) until you are able to resume business. This type of insurance needs to be reviewed regularly so that the figure insured can be updated to take account of projected profits and inflation. The indemnity period during which payments are made should be long enough to allow for re-establishment of your business.

Public risk

Covers your organisation's liability to pay compensation to persons other than employees who suffer injury, damage to property, death on your premises or as a result of your organisation's operations. If your organisation is leasing premises there will usually be a term of your lease requiring you to maintain public liability insurance in both the name of your organisation and the name of the landlord for a certain amount (a common figure is $10 million). In every case the claimant has to show that the injury, damage or death was caused through your organisation's negligence.

This type of insurance is relatively inexpensive and is essential given the potential damages and legal costs that could be incurred in any case. It is especially important in the case of unincorporated associations because every member of the unincorporated association can become personally liable to pay the compensation and legal costs of an injured party if negligence is proved on the part of the unincorporated association.

In the case of any association, whether incorporated or unincorporated, compensation will not be paid to a member or volunteer for injuries suffered in an accident if negligence cannot be proved. This type of risk can be covered by a separate accident policy. Employees and employed directors who are injured are covered by WorkCover which does not require negligence to be proved.

If your organisation is running a function (such as a fete, fundraising function or lecture) at premises owned by another party, it is advisable to arrange public liability insurance to cover that particular function. Any insurance held by the owner of the premises may not cover your organisation.

Professional indemnity and manufacturer’s liability

If your organisation manufactures any item which is sold to the public, even to benefit charity, it must be fit for the purpose for which it is sold. Consumer protection laws impose certain obligations on manufacturers that cannot be excluded, restricted or modified. Manufacturers and retailers may decide to take out a products liability policy to insure against claims arising from defective products.

If your organisation claims to provide reliable advice to the public, which proves to the detriment of the person receiving the advice, you may consider a professional indemnity policy to cover legal liability arising from professional negligence.

With the increasing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, everyone should be aware that the federal and state governments are adopting a precautionary approach in preparedness and planning for potential impacts to services. We strongly encourage you and your staff to monitor the following links and...
The Disaster Preparedness for Older People project aims to identify risks and agree on actions to ensure older people who may be vulnerable to disasters are best supported and protected from future impacts. The forum will provide: Identification of the key players for disaster preparedness for...
A forum on disaster preparedness for the aged care sector will be held in Logan on 14 December 2017. The forum aims to identify risks; then explore and agree on actions we can take toegther to ensure older people who may be vulnerable to disasters within the Logan area, are best supported and...
Legal Aid Queensland has published a series of captioned recordings about their services on their YouTube channel . Videos for community, health and education workers can be found here and include their published community legal education webinars. The next webinar is Child Protection - the law and...
Not-for-profit organisations may need to register for fringe benefits tax (FBT) if they provide benefits to employees during an FBT year (1 April to 31 March). Depending on the type of organisation, it may be entitled to a rebate or an exemption for FBT. The Australian Taxation Office has produced...
Disaster resilience is "the ability of individuals, communities, organisations, or countries exposed to disasters and crises and underlying vulnerabilities to: anticipate, reduce the impact of, cope with, and recover from the effects of adversity without compromising their long-term prospects." (...
The Australasian Evaluation Society (AES) is a member based organisation which exists to improve the theory, practice and use of evaluation in Australasia for people involved in evaluation including evaluation practitioners, managers, teachers and students of evaluation, and other interested...
Australia’s 600,000 charities and not-for-profits, from international aid groups right down to the local tennis club, have recently received a major boost, as Justice Connect’s Not-for-profit Law service launched the acclaimed Information Hub for a national audience. The Not-for-profit Law...
Farmers will now have access to more simplified information about localised support during natural disasters and drought, thanks to a new website developed by the Queensland Farmers' Federation (QFF) and funded by the Queensland Government. The website presents the full...
Charities that receive an email regarding their financial information from the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) are being advised not to dismiss it as a scam. The ACNC is contacting thousands of charities that have made significant errors in their financial reporting. The...


Are you looking for support in Queensland, or trying to find a service that meets your needs? Now you can search oneplace , the service directory hosted by the Queensland Family and Child Commission. oneplace is an easily accessible directory of community services to help Queensland families to get...
The Australasian Evaluation Society (AES) is a member based organisation which exists to improve the theory, practice and use of evaluation in Australasia for people involved in evaluation including evaluation practitioners, managers, teachers and students of evaluation, and other interested...
Legal Aid have a series of captioned recordings about Legal Aid Queensland services on their YouTube channel . Videos for community, health and education workers can be found here and include their published community legal education webinars. Upcoming webinars can be found on the Information for...
The Queensland Disaster Management website and the Get Ready website have a range of information and useful resources that can assist you to plan and prepare for an emergency. As part of your preparedness and planning for weather events, access regular weather forecast updates from the Bureau of...
The Legal Health Check is a collaboration between the Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House (QPILCH) and the National Association of Community Legal Centres Inc. The Legal Health Check provides a number of resources and tools to help organisations identify their clients' legal needs and...
The Queensland Council of Social Service (QCOSS) has produced the Planned Support Guide: an approach to case management for people working in a wide range of community services. If you are a front line worker, supervisor or manager this guide is for you. The guide assists in the development of a...
Industrial relations legislation in Queensland can be found on the Fair Work Commission's website . The main pieces of legislation are: Fair Work Act 2009 Fair Work Regulations 2009 Fair Work Commission Rules 2013
UPDATE : Safe Work Australia's statement regarding the Impact on Volunteers From 1 January 2012 workplace health and safety laws will be harmonised across Australia and will replace the existing work health and safety legislation in all states, territories and the Commonwealth. While many parts of...
There are a range of legal structures which may be suitable for Queensland not-for-profit community groups. The four main options are: an incorporated association: Associations Incorporation Act 1981 (QLD) and Associations Incorporation Regulation 1999 (QLD) a company limited by guarantee:...
Samuel Mortimer, QCOSS

Workplaces across Australia are innovating in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic - with many transitioning to operating in a virtual environment as employees begin to work from home.

It can be a learning curve for some people working from home for the first time but thankfully...

Michael Pegg, Jobs Australia

Whenever an organisation employs someone to do work, they enter into the world of industrial relations and human resource management.  It’s not usually the main focus for the organisation and it can be hard to see why clause xyz of the something or other award matters.  But it in the world...

Dietmar Frick, QCOSS

Scamwatch is increasingly warning Australian small businesses and not for profits to beware of an invoice email scam.

The scam...

Dr Ruth Knight, Zark Consultancy

Like many other community organisations, you are probably being increasingly asked to demonstrate the outcomes of your programs and services. Outcomes measurement allows you to identify which of your programs and services are successful, and helps you to test assumptions and communicate...

See videos from StudioQ related to this topic

Share or Print