Each year, NAIDOC Week celebrations highlight the rich and diverse culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the First Australians. NAIDOC Week celebrations and community events are a great opportunity for all Queenslanders to come together and acknowledge the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders.
This year NAIDOC Week celebrations will be held from Sunday 2 July to Sunday 9 July 2017.
If you want to celebrate NAIDOC with your own event in 2017, here are a few ideas:
- hold a morning tea and invite local Elders to come and share their stories
- have a NAIDOC trivia quiz
- hold a bake sale and contribute funds to a local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community organisation
- have a move night showing an Indigenous movie
- have a bush tucker lunch with delicious Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander foods.
This year's NAIDOC theme is Our Languages Matter - read our blog on why it is important to preserve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages.
To find out more about NAIDOC Week go to the NAIDOC website.