Hold informal social functions such as lunches and BBQs – they are good ways for staff, volunteers and management committee members to get to know one another better before co-locating their services.
Box A14: Some strategies for sustainability and success
- Building and maintaining community and stakeholder ownership and support, through direct democratic participation in decision making and regular reflection and evaluation.
- Progressive refinement of governance arrangements and policies.
- Ongoing flexibility at all levels, including flexibility in the design of collaboration and funding arrangements.
- Ongoing capacity building and training of staff, volunteers and management committee members.
- Developing longer-range strategic plans.
- Conducting a well-researched marketing campaign to communicate the initiative and foster stakeholder and community support.
- Undertaking regular, ongoing monitoring and evaluation and using this information to continually improve your services and systems.
More strategies for sustainability and success can be found in Lennie, J. (2007).
Challenges and Strategies for the Sustainability and Viability of Non Profit Multi-TenantService Centres: A Literature Review./collaboration/litreview
Just before the services move into the MTSC, it is valuable to conduct a further visioning, critical reflection and planning workshop. This will enable you to:
- Confirm the decisions that have already been made.
- Make decisions about such things as the name of the centre and type of image you want to present to the community.
- Develop long-term business plans for financial administration, sustainability of the centre and so on.
- Develop strategies that could improve the sustainability and success of your MTSC and the various systems and processes that have been planned.
- Develop proposals for future action or collaborative projects.
- Review the MOU to ensure that it reflects the experience of working together during the development process.
- Revisit the vision and mission, since new players may have come on board at this point.
Develop long-term business plans for financial administration and sustainability of the centre.
Develop strategies to improve the sustainability and success of your MTSC and its systems and processes (see Box A14).
Jointly plan future projects and activities that foster the spirit of collaboration and cooperation and build a sense of community.
See videos from StudioQ related to this topic