A wide range of resources are available to assist the disability, child safety, youth, homelessness and community sectors to prepare and respond to change under the Sector Readiness and Workforce Capacity initiative.
Staffing Options has developed a suite of resources called Pearl to assist people with a disability, their families and carers to self-direct their support through Your Life Your Choice.
These resources provide information to assist people with disability, their families and carers to effectively manage their disability supports and funding through both a ‘Host Provider model’ where payment is made to a host provider and a ‘Direct Payment model’ where payments are made to the person with disability or their representative. They cover topics such as the following:
Self-direction is a funding arrangement that gives a person – and their close supporters – the ability to make choices that determine their life's direction.
A number of elements need to be in place for self-direction to work well:
- having a clear idea about the kind of life you want to live
- planning how this can best be achieved
- understanding what is involved with the practical organisation of self-direction
- being clear about how much you want to be involved in the management of support.
Resources under this topic cover:
- Directing the life you want to live
- What does self-direction look like?
- Decision making and authority; whose business is whose?
- Self-direction: terms and definitions
- Seven Propositions for fruitful directive control
The future of funding will be linked to planning and it is important that people with disability, families and the people they trust to work with them are prepared. Under the Your Life Your Choice program, host providers and disability services will require you to engage in a planning process that they choose. However, you have the responsibility and power to present a plan for the life you want to live. This is where you would outline the support, services and safeguards that you might require to make it happen.
Resources developed for this topic include practical examples of how to plan well and stories from individuals and families who have used their planning for choosing supports and services to help create the life they want to live. Topics covered in this section include:
- Why talk about planning?
- What goes in a plan?
- Linking planning to supports and services
- Who can help me with my planning?
- Succession planning - what will happen in the future?
Self-direction under Your Life Your Choice offers you the freedom to gain assistance from the people that you want. You can engage them as employees or as independent contractors.
This topic covers:
- the difference between employees and contractors
- the rights and obligations of being an employer or a contractor of services
- workplace health and safety
- other legal and financial matters.
Resource include practical examples and templates to help you with your own system of paperwork.
- Engaging, recruiting and working with people
- Employee, contractor or other payment options
- Employer obligations: payroll, awards and entitlements
- Understanding duty of care and safe work practices
- Engaging contractors
- Insurances: employer and employee
- Superannuation: employees and contractors
Working together for transformational change workshops
The following resources were developed for the Working Together for Transformational Change workshops hosted by NDS throughout August and September 2013.
- Vision for transformational change (PDF)
- Working together for transformational change (PDF) | (plain text)
- Supporting people to have their needs met (PDF) | (plain text)
- Working together in a market environment (PDF) | (plain text)