Non-accredited training resources were created under the Sector Readiness initiative, around preparing for self-directed support under Your Life Your Choice in readiness for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
Non-accredited training topics
- Customer Focus Context
- Customer Focus Self-Assessment
- Understanding and Engaging Customers
- Customer Focused Business Planning
- Being an Empowered Customer
- Purchasing Supports
- Finding and Choosing Supports and Services
- Asset Based Community Development
- Strategic Foresight
- Financial Viability & Sustainability
- Self-direction for People with Intellectual or Cognitive Disability by People with Intellectual Disability
- Self-direction for Individuals and Families
- Transitioning to the NDIS - Organisations in the World of Self-Direction
- Visioning and Planning for the Future
- Participatory Processes: Working Together for Transformational Change
To access these professional development opportunities, including workshops, online tutorials, workbooks and resources, click on the links above or visit the Disability Sector Professional Development section of the website.
Sector readiness workshops
From July to September 2013, National Disability Services (NDS) hosted a series of workshops across Queensland to support people in preparing for self-directed care under Your Life Your Choice. The workshops were designed to provide information, start the conversation and shape the training and skill development opportunities to be offered as part of the Sector Readiness and Workforce Capacity initiative. Participants were provided with information about the significant changes occurring to the disability sector with the introduction of a National Disability Insurance Scheme and establishment of the National Disability Insurance Agency.
These initial workshops covered important questions, including:
- What do I need to understand about self-direction, for myself and to support others?
- What is a good life and how do we create and support a good life?
- What will it take to engage and support great workers?
- What do I need to know for my business to thrive in a market-based environment?
A range of resources were developed for these workshops and are available for download below.
- Vision for transformational change (PDF)
- Working together for transformational change (PDF) | (Plain text)
- Supporting people to have their needs met (PDF) | (Plain text)
- Working together in a market environment (PDF) | (Plain text)
From these workshops, a broad range of themes and topics have been identified as potential areas for development to build the capacity of individuals, organisations and the broader community to successfully transition to a National Disability Insurance Scheme.
Read more about the themes and topics identified during the workshops by downloading the following documents:
- Working Together for Transformational Change Harvest (PDF) | (Plain text)
- Participant Feedback: Working Together for Transformational Change Workshops (PDF) | (Plain text)
- Key Themes Word Cloud
A total of 604 participants attended the workshops across Queensland, providing substantial feedback to the engagement questions provided in the workshops.
In addition to informing the non-accredited training that was provided to the disability sector, this feedback has also been used to identify where needs can be met via other capacity building and training opportunities.