Why set up a social enterprise?
Reasons for setting up a social enterprise include:
- Meet a community need: finance, housing, fuel, education, economic opportunity for marginalised groups
- Reduce reliance on grants and donations
- Business model may be both the ends and means for your social goal e.g. an employment program
- ‘Be the change’ by demonstrating better way of doing business - democratic, environmentally sustainable, socially responsible
- Generate income for another charitable/community purpose
Source: ‘Developing strong social enterprises: a documentary approach’ – Barraket, Jo and Anderson, Heather – CPNS working paper no 52, Nov 2010; available at http://eprints.qut.edu.au/39028/1/39028.pdf