The Queensland Government has launched a website to provide information on all the concessions and rebates available to assist eligible households in Queensland to assist with the cost of living. For more information visit the Smart Savings website.
As at October 2017, the following subsidy programs and rebates were available to some eligible households in Queensland. Click on the links for details and full eligibility criteria.
Electricity and gas:
- Electricity Rebate
- Reticulated Natural Gas Rebate
- Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme
- Electricity Life Support Concession Scheme
- Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme
You can download a factsheet on these concessions from the Department of Energy and Water Supply website. The Department has also developed factsheets to encourage asylum seeker households to apply for the Electricity Rebate. This includes an easy English version and factsheets translated into Arabic, Farsi and Vietnamese.
The Australian Government offers an additional annual payment to help with energy costs to run medical equipment or medically required heating or cooling:
- Public transport rebates
- Taxi subsidy scheme
- Motor vehicle registration concession
- School Transport Assistance Scheme
- Non State Schools Transport Assistance Scheme
The Department of Transport and Main Roads has developed two promotional posters to raise awareness of public transport concessions which you can display in your office or reception: Poster targeting asylum seekers and Poster targeting job seekers.
Housing, water and rates:
- Water subsidy
- Rates subsidy
- Home Assist Secure
- Mortgage Relief Loan
- Bond loan
- Commonwealth Rent Assistance
Medical and disability:
- Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme
- Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS)
- Vehicle Options Subsidy Scheme (VOSS)
- Community Aids and Assistive Technologies Initiative
- Public dental services
- Smoke Alarm Subsidy Scheme