This publication from Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) presents information from the 2015 Survey of Disability, Ageing and Carers (SDAC).

Disability

The disability prevalence rate in Australia has remained relatively stable over time, with 18.3 per cent of people reporting disability in 2015, and 18.5 per cent in 2012 and 2009. The majority (78.5 per cent) of people with disability reported a physical condition, such as back problems, as their main long–term health condition. The other 21.5 per cent reported mental and behavioural disorders. More than half of those with disability aged 15 to 64 years participated in the labour force (53.4 per cent), which is considerably fewer than those without disability (83.2 per cent).

Carers

Information about carers is another important component of the SDAC. In the survey, a carer is defined as a person who provides any informal assistance, in terms of help or supervision, to older people (aged 65 years and over) and those with disability. In 2015, almost 2.7 million Australians were carers (11.6 per cent), with 856,100 people (3.7 per cent) aged 15 years and over identified as primary carers. These patterns were similar to those in 2009 and 2012. The average age of a primary carer was 55 years, and over one-third of primary carers (37.8 per cent) were living with disability themselves. Females made up the majority of carers, representing 68.1 per cent of primary carers and 55.5 per cent of all carers.

Find out more about the results on the ABS website.

Share or Print